Welcome

Welcome! Sit down, peruse these pages, and indulge in the stories my dolls arouse within your imagination...

Once Upon A Doll began with my own love of dolls, especially hand made. My kids and I collect, play with, and love our dolls, and eventually I began to make dolls of my own. Although my dolls are based upon the principles of Waldorf doll making--natural and sustainably harvested materials (like wool stuffing and cotton interlock), hand spun and dyed wool yarns for hair, hand made doll clothes, 100% wool felt for shoes--my dolls cannot be called strictly Waldorf (more Waldorf-esque), as they have definite personalities, larger & more expressive eyes, and playful mouths. Once Upon A Doll features enchanted dolls made in the Waldorf tradition with a storybook theme for that special child in your life or the discriminating collector of handmade dolls.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Four Seasons Doll Wreath

I just submitted my book manuscript (I bet many of you didn't know that I am also a writer, did you?), and now I have begun some new projects for my shop...

The first is a very special art yarn wreath made especially to house 4 removable handmade dolls, each one representing a different season of the year, and meant to be played with and loved by a very lucky child:

 Spring---Summer---Autumn---Winter

These dolls are similar in style to the Jess Brown dolls (like the doll in the enchanting book "Kiki and Coco in Paris"), each lovingly handmade by a very talented maker named Celine. She usually makes much larger dolls, but we collaborated for this special Four Seasons Project, and she created 4 one of a kind smaller versions of her dolls, just for this wreath!

If you would like to check out Celine's larger dolls, this is her Etsy shop link:
                       http://www.etsy.com/shop/celinecnyc























The wreath base itself has four different sets of decorations...handmade 100% wool roses...handmade felt owls...and these adorable needle felted critters

Strawberry for Spring
Rose for Summer
Mushroom for Autumn
and
Poinsettia for Winter
(notice the smiling faces on each).

Here's a close up of Spring, so you can just see the enchanting details of these dolls:

I am SOOO excited about this project! The perfect Christmas or Birthday gift (after all, it includes 4 special best friends, and celebrates the seasons as well).

Another project is my first Asian doll. She is 13 inches tall, with the SOFTEST handspun black merino hair (and lots of pink highlights)...her little dress and needle felted friend that she will come with are below...can you guess her theme?



Finally, I am working on the wreath for my contest winner's doll--it will actually be for her 14" Dragonfly's Hollow doll, and we are in the process of picking out all the details to create a VERY special home for her!

Have a wonderful week! I'll keep you posted with these current projects are complete.
Thanks for sharing the process of creation with me,
Amy
Once Upon A Doll

No comments:

Post a Comment