Welcome

Welcome! Sit down, peruse these pages, and indulge in the stories my dolls arouse within your imagination...

Once Upon A Doll began with my own love of dolls, especially hand made. My kids and I collect, play with, and love our dolls, and eventually I began to make dolls of my own. Although my dolls are based upon the principles of Waldorf doll making--natural and sustainably harvested materials (like wool stuffing and cotton interlock), hand spun and dyed wool yarns for hair, hand made doll clothes, 100% wool felt for shoes--my dolls cannot be called strictly Waldorf (more Waldorf-esque), as they have definite personalities, larger & more expressive eyes, and playful mouths. Once Upon A Doll features enchanted dolls made in the Waldorf tradition with a storybook theme for that special child in your life or the discriminating collector of handmade dolls.

Monday, July 7, 2014

Meet Hazel Grace Lancaster ...a custom Waldorf-esque doll by Once Upon A Doll

Hazel Grace is sixteen years old, but she is anything but usual. Based on John Green's main character in the novle "The Fault In Our Stars", Hazel has been diagnosed with Stage 4 thyroid cancer and has to carry an oxygen tank (which she calls "Philip") with nasal cannulas all the time just to breathe.
 The above photo is by far my favorite photo...it just captures her petite Hazel-ness to me  ...and I love her green eyes and whimsical intelligence.
 Hazel's hair is kept short and pixie-esque, made of four hand spun art yarns with a natural brown base. She has small features but self-proclaimed "chipmunk cheeks". Hazel falls in love with a boy named Augustus Waters, who also survived cancer.
Oxygen tank is handmade form a combination of needlefelting and wire, and the nasal cannulas are real. Hazel's long sleeved blue and white shirt (which reminds me of clouds and stars) and skinny jeans are by Nanerjoy...she also wears blue jean high tops.
 Each button on her shirt is memorable: A photo of Augustus with Hazel Grace from the movie, The title and name of the author, and three famous quotes from the book: "Okay? Okay.", "I fell in love the way you fall asleep, slowly and then all at once", and the infinity symbol with the fateful words: "Some inifinites are biggger than other infinities."

I won't tell you anything else about the story, but it is beautiful and poignant, with glorious highs and horrible lows--and quotes that are gems to keep in the soul forever and take out for inspiration every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment