Welcome

Welcome! Sit down, peruse these pages, and indulge in the stories my dolls arouse within your imagination...

Once Upon A Doll began with my own love of dolls, especially hand made. My kids and I collect, play with, and love our dolls, and eventually I began to make dolls of my own. Although my dolls are based upon the principles of Waldorf doll making--natural and sustainably harvested materials (like wool stuffing and cotton interlock), hand spun and dyed wool yarns for hair, hand made doll clothes, 100% wool felt for shoes--my dolls cannot be called strictly Waldorf (more Waldorf-esque), as they have definite personalities, larger & more expressive eyes, and playful mouths. Once Upon A Doll features enchanted dolls made in the Waldorf tradition with a storybook theme for that special child in your life or the discriminating collector of handmade dolls.

Friday, June 12, 2015

A few of my favorites...

Yesterday someone asked me if I could find a photo of a previous doll I've made, and looking through the photos took me down memory lane...Although I don't have a favorite doll, really...I can say that I have some favorite photos of dolls I've made.

I thought it would be fun to share some with you (a few have never even been published before.)

The photo of this little gal just captures my heart every time I look at it...everything about the composition of contrasting colors, the way she's seated, and how it looks like she's holding the plate of sushi is simply lovely:
 Sometimes a photo encapsulates the unique spirit of a doll...this one, with the muted background and bright orange and blue contrasts of her outfit, and even the way she's leaning towards us with her little fish, is perfect:
 The colors of this muted photo are divine...and the way we see her tattoos and feel her wildness because of the photo are great:
 I love it when all of the thematic elements can be represented so wholistically in a photo...from the baby dragons, to her cape and elaborately braided hair, this truly feels like the Queen of Dragons...
 The composition of her grays and blues fade stunningly into the wooden backdrop:
 I probably took 50 photos of my Katniss and Peeta set, but I love the way this photo captures Peeta's sweet spirit in contrast to Katniss' fierce protection of him, and they way they were forced to cleave to each other during the games...
 The tilt of the ground, the way her work boots are obvious, her endearing face and "we can do it!" arms... love this!
 My favorite outside shot by far...oh, those blooming colors! Sometimes I love when the composition doesn't place the doll in the middle of the frame...
 The real reason for extreme closeups are in the details: Renesmee's itty bitty vampire fangs, glinting eyes, the pin of her with her vampire parents, and of course the locket her mother gave her...
 Everthing about the soft colors in this are stunning...especially the way it focuses on her lush natural mohair yarn locks...
 My favorite photo I've ever taken of my daughter with a doll...
 I love this collage...sometimes, in order to capture the multifaceted elements of a thematic doll, it's best to reveal it in collage form...
Thanks so much for walking down memory lane with me!

STAY TUNED for my four RTG little Hogwarts witches--Hermoine, Luna, Tonks and Bellatrix--in Short Story form to be posted as soon as they are finished.

Warmly,
Amy
Once Upon A Doll

No comments:

Post a Comment