Welcome

Welcome! Sit down, peruse these pages, and indulge in the stories my dolls arouse within your imagination...

Once Upon A Doll began with my own love of dolls, especially hand made. My kids and I collect, play with, and love our dolls, and eventually I began to make dolls of my own. Although my dolls are based upon the principles of Waldorf doll making--natural and sustainably harvested materials (like wool stuffing and cotton interlock), hand spun and dyed wool yarns for hair, hand made doll clothes, 100% wool felt for shoes--my dolls cannot be called strictly Waldorf (more Waldorf-esque), as they have definite personalities, larger & more expressive eyes, and playful mouths. Once Upon A Doll features enchanted dolls made in the Waldorf tradition with a storybook theme for that special child in your life or the discriminating collector of handmade dolls.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Little Legs

"Little legs traveling so fast
A twelve year old going on twenty three
Growing up so fast before my eyes...
Silently breaking her father's heart."
--Poem by Bill Grace

 I've been a bit obsessed by little legs lately.

It all started when my daughter dressed herself, put on fairy wings, and spontaneously climbed onto our coffee table to burst into an extemporaneous song and dance that, frankly, is beyond my own present day abilities.
Standing on the table put my focus on her legs and feet, rather than her face as is usually my focus. As I watched her twirl and whirl and dip, I marveled at all the things little legs are able to do. Not too long ago, she couldn't stand up or dress herself or even lift her head...and look at her now.

How quickly little legs grow up and don't need us anymore.

Think of all the places our little legs will take us in this life...all the marvels we couldn't experience without them. They hike up mountains, dance with a partner, run like heck from a dangerous situation. They support us through good times and bad.

But we don't really appreciate them much, do we? 

Some women don't like their legs because they are too fat, or too thin, or have knobby knees, or ugly toes, or bear the dreaded stretch marks and cellulite. We cover them up with long dresses and high socks and support hose and leggings.  Always hiding.
Others consider their legs their best attribute, and take every chance they can to draw attention to them with mini skirts and fake tans and high heels and short shorts. We all know a gal with beautiful legs.
I realized even in my own doll making, I sort of took legs for granted. They were the part of the doll I "had to do", and sort of rushed through to get to the colorful hair, sweet expressions, and fun outfits.
I started examining the little legs of dolls...some might call them the least important part of a doll, but  now I beg to differ. What is it about little toes and feet and ankles and knees, these pudgy stuffed stalks of strength that, in a well made doll, hold her up or help her sit? Oh, and the bums that they enhance!
I'm loving the unusual legs of my wee Short Story dolls...so sturdy and solid...so colorful and varied...so young and playful...I get a kick out of their over-large feet and the way they look like stylish boots.
But more importantly, I love the places these little legs will go in their adventures with another (albeit a bit larger) little child's legs as they discover the wonder of life together.

And perhaps I needed this reminder that my own legs, although chubby with fat and the color of flesh rather than bright colored and made of wool, need a little more attention and appreciation today.

Maybe I'll put a little lotion on them...get a pedicure...stretch them a bit more carefully...learn to love the current state of their hills and valleys...take them for granted just a little bit less than I did yesterday.

And oh, the adventures we'll share today together, my own little legs and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment