Welcome

Welcome! Sit down, peruse these pages, and indulge in the stories my dolls arouse within your imagination...

Once Upon A Doll began with my own love of dolls, especially hand made. My kids and I collect, play with, and love our dolls, and eventually I began to make dolls of my own. Although my dolls are based upon the principles of Waldorf doll making--natural and sustainably harvested materials (like wool stuffing and cotton interlock), hand spun and dyed wool yarns for hair, hand made doll clothes, 100% wool felt for shoes--my dolls cannot be called strictly Waldorf (more Waldorf-esque), as they have definite personalities, larger & more expressive eyes, and playful mouths. Once Upon A Doll features enchanted dolls made in the Waldorf tradition with a storybook theme for that special child in your life or the discriminating collector of handmade dolls.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Yarn Doll Hair

I have a penchant for yarn doll hair...
 Short or long, natural or fantasy, I love all the wild possibilities that present themselves when I sit down surrounded by skeins of hand spun art yarn and begin to create a doll's personal mix...
 I love yarns that showcase the original wool texture and luminence in their spinning...I am inspired by brightly contrasted mixes of hand dyed wool yarn...The idea that each strand is the creation of a fellow spinning artist inspires me...
 But most of all, I relish the unusual combinations of these strands of art that present themselves in an entirely unique way, to create a theme for a doll that goes beyond the regular, and into the sublime.
Wefted doll hair is lovely, popular right now, and can be so very natural and "real". But I will always be a handspun yarn lover at heart for my own dolls...it combines the artistry of a spinner with my own, and that is a recipe for pure MAGIC!

No comments:

Post a Comment